“Introduction to Sausage Making” Project
In which we show you the way to safely and easily make tasty sausages, and do it without buying all sorts of fancy grinders and stuffers and forklifts and such. We offer the following manifesto- Anybody (Even a Complete Dummy) Can Make Great Tasting Sausage. You can do this by buying ground meats, using common ingredients, and making patties or rolling into un-linked “links.” If interested, you can buy other equipment later. Why push it? Learn how, first. Topics:
- Introduction – Cleanliness. Recipes: sage breakfast sausage, allspice breakfast sausage
- Common Meat-Borne Diseases – Refrigeration. Recipes: Garlic Sausage, Biscuits ‘n’ gravy.
- Buying meats – Handling & Measurements. Recipes: commercial breakfast sausage spice mix, simple (very simple) spicy chorizo breakfast sausage
- More Common Meat-Borne Diseases – cooking. Recipes: Italian Sausage Spaghetti sauce. Stuffed bell peppers.
- Less Common Meat-Borne Diseases – Chuckwagon’s “32 ways to Avoid Grief” Sausage Making manifesto. Recipes: cocktail meatballs, “vegetarian” chili
- Taking It to the Next Level – Handy Hardware Options That You Can Do Without For Now, But… [Grinders, Stuffers, Mixers, Weigh Scales, Smokers]. Recipes: Picadillo, party cheese+sausage dip
- Faking It to the Next Level – Tricks with Plastic Bags & Vacuum Sealers (casing-less sausage-shaped sausages, patty partial freezing). Recipes: Bronsonville Jots, Chuckwagon’s “Hip Shot” Hamburgers
- Classic Sausages (Yup, There’s a Way, But…) Recipes: (Liquid) “Smoked” Andouille for Cajun Recipes, Kielbasa with Liquid Smoke Instead of Nitrite
- Things You May Want to Avoid When Making Sausages – Food Processors, Chopping by Hand, Mixer Attachments, Funnels, Fresh (non-sterile) Ingredients. Recipes: Pork & Apple Sausage (Somerset Sausage) – Pork and Herb, Tomato, Leek, etc Sausages
- Challenges – Seafood and Other Perishables. Recipes: smoked Rocky Mountain trout, variations on seafood sausage recipes
- Let’s Play Chicken – Chicken and Turkey Sausages. Recipes: Turkey or Chicken Sausage, Turkey and Sun-Dried Tomato Sausage
- Exotica – Special Precautions – Lamb, Bison, Venison, etc. Recipes: Loukanikos (lamb with feta cheese), Gyros
- It’s Not Just For Breakfast Anymore – Sausage in Other Dishes. Recipe: Jambalaya
See the Index or Table of Contents for various project listings, such as several earlier Projects “A” on fermented sausages and Projects “B” (for “Beginner”). You’ll need to join so you can comment. It’s free!
sausage making sausage recipes fermented sausages sausagemaking forum